Beauty salon Singapore is shutting down over safety issues with staff after a three-month investigation into staff safety following a report that a six-year-old boy was sexually assaulted.
The investigation found that a group of men had sexually assaulted a child at the facility in October and December, while staff had failed to stop the assault and the child was left in the care of the perpetrators.
Singapore has strict guidelines on child sexual abuse, but the Ministry of Social Services says it does not regulate child care facilities.
The ministry said the investigation found no evidence that staff had taken action to stop a child being sexually assaulted, and no one had been criminally charged.
The incident was reported to the Ministry on Monday, but no action was taken at the time, a ministry spokesman said.
Singh said she was appalled by the allegations and said she would have acted to protect the child, but had not been able to.
The child was not identified, and there was no other information about the abuse reported, Singh said.
She added that the Ministry would be in contact with the child’s parents, and that she hoped the child would recover.
Singhi, who has not commented publicly since the investigation was announced, said she hoped her case would help other children, especially those who have suffered abuse.